Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Something About Autumn

Crunch..crunch…my brown flats laced with golden florals, half conscientiously, perhaps almost instinctively, tread over the orange and red amber puddles splashed through the green autumn grass. Yes, I am once again maneuvering my steps to the placing of each crisp leaf, like a child in a grocery store that will only step on the black squares or red lines for fear of the lava filled white squares. Its fall and the colors of my favorite songs are beginning to play the first few notes. I recently heard that during the fall, leaves return to their natural colors. The vibrant colors are not the pallet of decay as I once thought, they are in fact the purest reflection of the leaves, free of any outside influence, also known as chlorophyll, but no one’s ear delights at the sound of chlorophyll so let’s leave science to science, and me with my words. They say, or often literature tells us that spring represents birth, new life, growth, but when it comes to the literature of my life it seems that Autumn often steals Spring’s thunder and pours a stirring into the dusty corridors of my mind. The corridors left quenched for creativity by the ever busy and preoccupied Summer. Autumn reflects not only the true colors of her leaves but of my spirit. I always feel more alive when the air stands on that in between of warm and cold, as if finally and for just a moment, vacant of brisk goosebumps or beads of sweat, my skin can finally touch the atmosphere without the fickle temperature of the wind. When the faintest of breezes prompts me to neither put on nor remove my sweater, but to breathe in the breath of that whisper of a wind, and soak in the voiceless and seemingly undetectable touch of the afternoon air. My soul begins to sing along with the gold altos as they harmonize with the sea of amber sopranos floating effortlessly from the branches of nearby trees to the cold pavement. A thousand tiny green drums beat against the branches in never know exactly what about October sunsets or November mornings that can intoxicate me so quickly, but something fills me with an awe inspiring release that turns my eyes into a camera lens tinted quiet anticipation. I feel calm and refreshed, each candy coated color sweetening the waking realization that I’m alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment